Mast stuck in mastfoot when turning upright

Antworten
Stefertje

Mast stuck in mastfoot when turning upright

Beitrag von Stefertje »

Hi All,

My german isn't very good so that's why i put this in the english forum.
I have a questiopn regarding my mast. When i want to go underneath a bridge i turn my mast down, first you get the bolt out at the forestay then you connect the rope on the winch in the cockpit, connect the steel pool on the forestay and you can slowely lower it down.
When i want to upright the mast i pull the rope on the winch, mast goes up but the last bit (almost straight up) it stays stuck at the bottom of the mastfoot. i can connect the forestay when i put quite some tension on it but i know for sure the mast needs to be more upright. all the stays are stil on normal tension. Is it correct that you don't have to undoe the stays when you lower and uprighten the mast?
When i put a crowbar between the mast and the mastfoot and loosen the stays i can very slowly put the mast more upright.
Can it be that the pivot point on the thin aluminium mast is worn out, that the mast is stuck in the mastfoot?
Can the set you can buy on marine team to strengthen the mast help?
Hope to hear any suggestions.

Best regards, Stef
ukelei

Re: Mast stuck in mastfoot when turning upright

Beitrag von ukelei »

Stef,

I never turn the mast up/down while sailing, only at beginning/end of the season with relaxed shrouds. I don't know whether its feasible with tightened shrouds.
And I never ever use force to turn it up. The mast holder (coker?) isn't made to tolerate force upwards or overturning.
You are right, the pivot point might be worn out. Post a photo of it. There are a lot of experienced DY owners in this forum.

Cheers,
Oliver
Claus_22

Beitrag von Claus_22 »

Hi,

if you enter the German word "Langloch" in the forum search you will surely find many hints to your question quickly. If you have problems translating your posts, you can simply copy them to the clipboard and use deepl.com or other translation engines to fully translate the text. The shrouds should be loosened in any case. The mast laying and mast placing without a proper jutting device is not very gentle on the material.
I hope you find what you are looking for here.

Best regards,
Claus
Stefertje

Beitrag von Stefertje »

Hi Claus, Olivier,

Thanks for your responses, they are really helpful.
The only thing I still don’t know exactly is wether or not you can leave your stays tightened when putting the mast up and down. For the rest I ordered a mastverstarkung set. The pivot point are surely worn out.
Thanks again,

Stef
Claus_22

Beitrag von Claus_22 »

Hi Stef,

When I put the mast up or down I do this always without any problem with loosend shroud tensions.
From my point of view this is must.
Hope this answer is helpful!
Best regards
Claus
Antworten